Forgive me for my unprofitable indolence, but it's about a month now since I had seen this animated film and that this is the only moment where I could find time to sit down, sip some tea, and type away. Not that I'm busy, but sometimes, stuff happens. And so does Happy Feet, a supposed-to-be animated wonder with the potential to be the new Finding Nemo, or the new Monsters, Inc, continuing its occupation in box-office but doing not considerably high in my own rate-o-meter. Tell me, should an animated film work boasting billboard names behind the voices like Elijah Wood, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Robin Williams, Fat Joe and Brittany Murphy? It depends of course. But with a story like Happy Feet? C'mon, humour me more.
So there's this penguin, Mumble, who was born different and has a specific and magnificent talent of tap-dancing amidst an environment of vocally-charged penguin lungs. So he's different, and it's the most formulaic story there ever was in history. Put on the protagonist, make him different and give him time to prove himself. The end. Give us a break.
Technically speaking, in the animation part, it works wonders specially for the kids. It has brilliant, groundbreaking animations and even the furs of the penguins look fantastically real and the vistas were all stunning. I also like the idea of fusing the real images of the zoo with the people in it and with the animations inside the glass cages of penguins. And the music? Obviously inspired by Moulin Rouge, mixing songs and lyrics and putting them together to make a catchy tune. Nicole Kidman in her Norma Jean penguin with a whispy sort of voice was amazing, of course, she had already proven herself that she can sing and not just a pretty face in Moulin Rouge. Brittany Murphy was also a surprise as she delivers a great voice behind Gloria. Robin Williams, voicing three different characters, was at the pinnacle of his animated voicing career, Elijah Wood was OK, fit for Mumble, and so with Hugh Jackman, who had a very short character appearance.
It's just the story that feels so - predictable. There are a lot entertaining sequences but they all felt too fleeting, and too inspired by other films. It's may stun kids but hell, it won't stun me. I had seen something like it already and although we know that Happy Feet is like a spin-off of the astounding documentary that was March of the Penguins, it still lacks the cinematic thing that we are looking for. And I completely understood the implication of the film as well, trying to put a political and environmental message beneath the film, to try and save our resources and the wildlife. The balance just went off dramatically at that juncture because the film wasn't sure then where to stand at all, in filmmaking basis.
After all, we were kids back then. I enjoyed the film a bit, but somehow I wished I was 10 years younger to enjoy it a bit more.

Rating: B-