December 21, 2006, J. K. Rowling announced in her website the highly anticipated 7th book installment of the universally popular Harry Potter series, and dude, from the title itself, it's as ominous as it could get and very dark indeed. Amazon.com is already calling Deathly Hallows as the most eagerly awaited book of all time. While Rowling is gliding away from the formulaic titles, putting "and the" with every title, she creates a new mood starting from "Half-Blood Prince" and now just the simple two words that has the creepy ability to raise some hair. It's not a horror thing, but it makes you feel that death here is the horror. Of course, for a thousand times, Rowling had been plaguing fans that there would be deaths. Yes, death with an 's', that's more than one.
For myself, in my opinion, I really think Death Hallows is a fantastic title and a creepy way to mark the conclusion of our beloved series. By the time Rowling will finally put the final word 'scar' in her final page, it would be goodbye then, just like saying goodbye to a good old friend. If there are deaths, I have my own inkling of who will make it up to the soul-world and rejoin Black and Dumbledore (sorry for spoilers), but if it is a death - I believe Rowling would make it sure that it would be an IMPORTANT death, something about sacrifice. Hey, I am not saying Harry would die, but based on the prophecy, neither would die if one lives, that's between Harry and Voldemort. One has to die between the two of them, but either way, maybe Rowling wouldn't give the Harry Potter series a bright-rainbow-fairy-tale-kind of ending most kids are expecting. As it becomes increasingly dark and adult-ridden, I am afraid Potter would be a tragic epic. Hmm, let's wait and see what will happen to Death Hallows. I am just very sure that Albus Dumbledore wouldn't pull a Gandalf in book seven. I don't see him returning, shining in white light amidst the darkness. All I could foresee is darkness really. No Dumbledore. No Sirius Black. Just Harry, along with Ron and Hermione, fighting a battle unimaginable. Now, I really can't wait.