Many had said that this was a good film, so I was kinda curious also and checked out this flick, having been nagged so many times that I was such an unfortunate little freak who haven't watched this film. And so I watched it.
Before I start commenting about the film, I would like to restate again what I said before: I am not a fan of romantic comedies. I'm a kind of guy who doesn't dig romantic comedies. A kind of lad who doesn't believe romance and comedies should go together, and if they would, I believe only a very quite few could pass through the tiniest hole. In fact, only quite a few who had made through my mark. Love, Actually for example. I love that film, and it's a romantic comedy, no doubt about that. So what about romantic comedies? Most of them are critically smashed, and most of them belonged to the Jennifer Lopez territory, or maybe Hilary Duff's or Lindsay Lohan's.
So, about Serendipity, I was just glad that it wasn't too Hilary-ish, Lindsay-ish and J.Lo-ish. The real deal was Kate Beckinsale. I love this actress, and her beauty is the perfect contour suited in the big screen. Also, John Cusack was a good leading man. He wasn't too used into romantic comedies that's why it's a bit funny to watch him scuttle around. Things that I dig in the film: I like the soundtrack, especially Annie Lenox's haunting yet catchy rendition of Bob Marley's Waiting In Vain. I also like the message of the movie. It speaks to us that no matter how hard we try to control everything, there's only one thread that keeps us all moving, and that is fate. The way it was presented in the film was a bit funny, especially in those sequences where they keep on missing each other. You could really see destiny working behind it all.
The film moved well from the first half of the film, and I was engrossed by it, but all of a sudden, after the first half, it became a bit convoluted and redundant. The sequences became tiring and sluggish. I was even a bit disappointed by the ending. It was somewhat too melodramatic for me.
But anyway, it's not a bad film. Actually, it's good. A good B-movie. It just rightfully entertain you on your most boring night. Get out some popcorns, nachos and colas. Enjoy Kate and John chasing each other, defying destiny and time.
Rating: B+