OK, let me say this for once and for all, I haven't watched a single film crafted by Woody Allen himself. I was familiar with his movies, yes, like Annie Hall for instance, but watching them - er - no. Except for this one. And now let me say this once and for all again, I want to watch more of Woody Allen's film. I quite like Match Point, and judging from this statement, I would surely watch out for the upcoming Allen films like Scoop (also starring Scarlett Johansson and Hugh Jackman) and his former films as well. This is not your ordinary love story. It's a combination of a thriller, suspense, love story, and romance. So it's not really new to the silverscreen, but as I knew, Woody Allen was famous for his certain movie structure. Match Point starts out as an ordinary love story, a love quadrangle, but as the film rolls at the middle sequence, bloody hell, it has this unique "very British" element and it's a kind of a film that you would stay seated up until the end to find out what happens to the characters. And speaking of the characters, they are very well constructed. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers has finally came out as a fine actor. His bearing, his manner and his superciliousness is magnificent. Scarlett Johansson is deliciously whoozah! She's not your average girl. Boy, she could act. Not to mention, she's I think 19 or 20 years old and now she garnered 4 Golden Globe nods and an Oscar nom. Her portrayal of her character in this film would make you feel you wanted to choke the bloody hell out of her but later in the film, you wanted to symphatize as well as emphatize with her. This is a good film, and seldomly would a person like me would favor a film like this. And having Scarlett Johansson in the arena was indeed a plus. Yum. This film really shows how dangerous relationships could get, as well as how dangerous love could be at certain grounds.
Rating: A-