I am no fan of sci-fi flicks. Yet, Serenity earns that hard-earned respect that it deserved. With very picturesque and almost real visuals, it capticates the eye and pleases sci-fi the geekdom. I once heard the whole idea of Serenity came from the recently-cancelled TV series Firefly. Joss Whedon, the brain behind the TV series Angela and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, created Serenity with the use of his own wits and style. So now, after watching Serenity, I think it's not a bad movie, and it did pleased me with some high-flying action and amazing visuals that looked so impossibly real. It's hard to call this the new Star Wars, but it's an epic on its own filled with intriguing characters, full of humor and at the same time, a good-natured space opera.
But sad to say, I couldn't rate this movie any higher than B because it is a B movie indeed. I swear I was never a fan of sci-fi flicks and believed that movies like these are for dorks. I haven't even watched the first two Star Wars flicks and only happened to check out the recent one, The Revenge of the Sith. I hate to say this but I am not a digger of this, which is really ironic, because as I'm a movie fan, I should not be biased on any genre. OK, I guess I'm starting to learn, but Serenity is an entertaining film. One that could be watched on a Friday night. (Anyway, why it's always Friday night? Is it movie night?)
The plot is like this. Life on Earth is not non-existent, but rather over existent. Humans had now ventured throughout the space to search for other solar systems to live in. Now, a super-deuper-great council of all solar systems had been established to put humans under an organized system. Of course, there are still lawbreakers. The crew of Serenity for instance (yes, Serenity is a spaceship) - they're thieves. They rob banks for running their own system, their own spaceship. Until their own adventures led them to misadventures. They stumbled across the Reavers, horrible looking creatures in space that eats humans literally. In a very wild but comic sequence, they also stumbled upon a girl which was a psychic, who sees things... a secret weapon that the council was planning to use. There is betrayal, there is disloyalty and there is revenge. Serenity touches on serious matters like demolishing the whole race of humanity, and its theme interesting enough to chill your senses up. Right, Serenity is effective.

Rating: B